The Sierra Club, founded by John Muir in 1892, is one of the oldest, largest, and most influential grassroots environmental organizations in the United States. The Niagara Group is one of eleven groups in the New York State Atlantic Chapter of the Sierra Club. The Niagara Group represents Sierrans in Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Erie, Genesee, Niagara, Orleans, and Wyoming counties in Western New York.
THE PEOPLE’S CLIMATE MARCH SEPTEMBER 21 IN NYC!
People’s Climate March in New York City: Sierra Club Niagara Group and local allied groups are organizing Buses to NYC and offering Scholarship Tickets to students and qualified participants.
Show your support and get in line for the Buffalo Bus to NYC!
World leaders will be in New York City for a historic UN summit on climate change this September. The Sierra Club, along with tens of thousands of passionate and dedicated allies, will flood the streets of NYC in a unified demonstration to act on climate! Let’s make The People’s Climate March the largest-ever demonstration demanding action on climate change! We’re calling on President Obama to put real solutions in place to reduce climate pollution that will inspire leaders in countries around the world and compel them to take action. WHAT: The People’s Climate MarchWHO: Sierra Club, tens of thousands of passionate and dedicated allies, and you! WHERE: NYC! WHEN: Sunday, September 21st
Combatting Climate Change Film Series
By Clean Air Coalition:
Beginning August 5th with The Eleventh Hour, a film that examines the threat of climate change on human life and poses the question: Will the world’s population employ break-through technologies and change our behavior to save our species?
For more information see the flyer: Combating Climate Change Film Series
SIERRA CLUB OPPOSED TO THE EXPANSION OF HAZARDOUS WASTE FACILITY IN NIAGARA COUNTY!
Help Stop the Expansion! No more hazardous waste brought into our community! Attend the Hearings:
Wednesday, July 16 at 1:00 pm and at 6:30 pm in the auditorium of the Lewiston-Porter High School at 4061 Creek Road (Route 18) Youngstown, NY. Check here for information to send comments.
BUFFALO’S OUTER HARBOR – SHARED PUBLIC SPACE OR DEVELOPER’S PLAYGROUND?
THREE HEARINGS TO DISCUSS THE FUTURE OF THE BUFFALO OUTER HARBOR Join leaders from Empire State Development, Erie Canal Harbor Development Corp. (www.eriecanalharbor.com), the City of Buffalo and Perkins+Will as they describe the principles that will guide our public planning process. Listen, participate in any or all of these repeat events, share ideas and help shape the future of Buffalo’s waterfront. Our Position: THE SIERRA CLUB NIAGARA GROUP SUPPORTS THE ESTABLISHMENT OF A LARGE PUBLIC GREEN PARK ON THE OUTER HARBOR WITH APPROPRIATE REHABILITATION OF EXISTING HISTORIC BUILDINGS. WE OPPOSE THE ALLOCATION OFO THE CURRENTLY OPEN GREEN SPACE FOR NEW CONSTRUCTION OF HOUSING OR OTHER TYPES OF FACILITIES. Wednesday, July 9 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. WNED Studios, 140 Lower Terrace, Thursday, July 10, 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m., Makowski Early Childhood Center, 1095 Jefferson Avenue Saturday, July 12, 9 a.m. – 11 a.m., Old First Ward Community Center, 62 Republic Street
OTHER NIAGARA GROUP ACTIVITIES We’re busy focusing on hydrofracking issues in the region, NYS climate change and energy policy, wetlands protection in WNY and more! Read more on the issues and learn how you can get involved.
Join us on www.facebook.com
ISSUES AND ACTIVITIES Our members are involved in many different activities to help protect the environment of our local area, the state, and the planet, including the following:
- We oppose the destructive and toxic horizontal drilling practice for natural gas known as hydrofracking, and chemical waste disposal sites that pollute our environment and drinking supplies.
- We seek to protect and enhance our local wetlands, water bodies, forests, parks and watersheds.
- We lobby our local and state politicians for better environmental laws and policies, and endorse candidates who support the environment.
- We host environmental speakers, Earth Day activities, school energy efficiency presentations, and participate in other events throughout the year to educate the public about environmental issues.
Support NY State Shared Clean Energy Bill The NY State Assembly’s Energy Committee has passed A.9931, which would establish a new shared clean energy program in the state. The Senate has kept things rolling by introducing a same-as bill (S.7727). “Solar is delivering tremendous health, environmental and economic benefits to New York, but the traditional panels-on-your-roof approach simply doesn’t work for most of our energy consumers. Families and businesses who rent and plenty of others are left in the dark. It’s time for a more inclusive approach to New York clean energy. We urge lawmakers to pass A9931 solar can shine for all,” said Aaron Bartley, Executive Director of People United for Sustainable Housing (PUSH) Buffalo. We need to act now as the last day of the New York legislative session is coming up on June 19. Take Action
EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEMBERS
- Lynda Schneekloth: Chair, Conservation Chair
- Pamela Hughes: Vice-Chair, Newsletter Editor
- Larry Snider: Treasurer
- Sara Schulz: Secretary
- Richard Lippes: Legal Advisor
- Angela Knisley: Membership & Volunteer Coordinator
- Larry Beahan: Habitat Committee Chair, Atlantic Chapter Alternate Delegate
- Robert Ciesielski: Atlantic Chapter Delegate, State Energy Chair
- Roger Cook: Political Chair
- Arthur Klein: Atlantic Chapter Delegate-at-large
- Ed McGreevy: Niagara County Representative
NON-EXECUTIVE MEMBERS WORKING WITH THE NIAGARA GROUP
- Newsletter Graphic Designer: Gretchen White
- Energy Committee Chair: Diane Ciurczak
- Chapter Toxics Committee Chair: Joe Gardella
- Chapter Wetlands Committee Chair: Liz Kaszubski
- Webmaster: Diana Strablow