The Sierra Club, founded by John Muir in 1892, is one of the oldest, largest, and most influential grassroots environmental organizations in the United States. The Niagara Group is one of eleven groups in the New York State Atlantic Chapter of the Sierra Club. The Niagara Group represents Sierrans in Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Erie, Genesee, Niagara, Orleans, and Wyoming counties in Western New York.
ISSUES AND ACTIVITIES Our members are involved in many different activities to help protect the environment of our local area, the state, and the planet, including the following:
- We oppose the destructive and toxic horizontal drilling practice for natural gas known as hydrofracking, and chemical waste disposal sites that pollute our environment and drinking supplies.
- We seek to protect and enhance our local wetlands, water bodies, forests, parks and watersheds.
- We lobby our local and state politicians for better environmental laws and policies, and endorse candidates who support the environment.
- We host environmental speakers, Earth Day activities, school energy efficiency presentations, and participate in other events throughout the year to educate the public about environmental issues.
OTHER NIAGARA GROUP ACTIVITIES We’re busy focusing climate change and energy policy, keeping fossil fuels in the ground including stopping fracked gas infrastructure, wetlands protection in WNY and more! Read more on the issues and learn how you can get involved.
EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEMBERS
- Sara Schultz: Chairperson, Atlantic Chapter Chair of Climate Crisis Committee
- Pamela Hughes: Vice-Chair
- Robert Ciesielski: Atlantic Chapter Vice Chair, Atlantic Chapter Energy Chair
- Larry Beahan: Conservation Chairperson, Habitat Chair, Atlantic Chapter Group Alternate Delegate
- Laura Evans: Secretary
- Roger Cook: Political Chairperson
- Nicole Gerber: Newsletter Co-editor
- John Szalasny
- Ellen Banks: Niagara Group Climate and Energy Committee Chair, Atlantic Chapter at Large Delegate, Atlantic Chapter Conservation Chair, Atlantic Chapter Secretary
- Diana Strablow: Webmaster, Atlantic Chapter Delegate
- Richard Lippes: Legal Consultant
- Lynda Schneekloth
NON-EXECUTIVE MEMBERS WORKING WITH THE NIAGARA GROUP
- Ester Clabeaux: Treasurer
- Charley Bowman: Atlantic Chapter Council of Club Leaders Delegate
- Angela Knisley: Media
- David Reilly: Newsletter Co-editor
- Newsletter Graphic Designer: Gretchen White
SIERRA CLUB NIAGARA GROUP BY-LAWS
As a member group of the Atlantic Chapter of the Sierra Club, we are bound by policy of the Atlantic Chapter and by our own Niagara Group By-Laws which can be read here: Niagara Group By-Laws